Monday, April 18, 2011

Sleeping on the air mattress

Monday:  I took about a 1.5 mile run in my neighborhood. The actual distance was 2 miles, but I ran the first mile and then sprinted and and walked the other mile back. The running is getting easier slowly. I also came across some videos of the new Army PT and combat readiness tests that will replace the current PT test. Check it out:

Tuesday: Had my usual 0700 personal training session. She had me do some pretty good exercises that worked out the lower body. I then spent 25 minutes on a bike. I used this time to read the Soldier's Guide Book I mention previously. 

Tuesday's PT was headed up by a new recruiter that just got transferred from Hawaii. He seems like a decent NCO. The best way to describe him is to think of Woody Harrelson. So we will just call him SGT Woody, not to be funny though. SGT Woody took us out to the track and planned on us doing 30:60s. This means that you sprint for 30 seconds, and jog 60 seconds for a set of reps. However, he was lacking a whistle, so we ended up just sprinting around the outer edges of track and jogging down the straightaways. He had us do it for 2 miles. It got me sweating pretty good. After that, he had us a fireman's carry relay between two teams. I wish that I could have taken some pictures of the race because it was fairly amusing. He then had us do some circular formation exercises that focused on the core. Overall it was fairly good workout.

Wednesday: The day seemed like it was going to be promising in terms of PT. We were planning on going out to the park and play some ultimate football. However, as SGT Woody was about to take his group of FSs to the park, the station commander told him that they needed to take the station van that had a flat tire for over a week, and that the tire needed to be fixed right then and there. That task turned out to be fairly time consuming and did not even get finished. We ended up just calling it day. However, a group of us decided to to go to the gym that I happen to still carry a membership. I took 6 other FSs into the gym and had them sign up for a 1 day pass. This caused some problems with the management for some reason and they wanted to charge them for using the gym for a day. This caused me to go into jerk mode. I asked why would they give me some many problems when I bring friends when they are always posting to bring our friends and family in to the gym. At this the manager decided to shut up and take my friends information. We ended playing basketball with some 3 on 3 action. It was fun to say the least. I have not played any team basketball since probably high school.

Thursday:  I filmed my last episode of the Weekend Update with Maximum Cheese productions this week. We filmed on location this week at the East Orlando Sun. Check it out:


PT was better on Thursday. We got to play the ultimate football that we were suppose the prior day. Once the confusion as to how to play cleared up, the game was quite fun! The game is basically played like ultimate frisbee but with a football. This probably so football players do not feel sissy. Here is a video to describe the scene:
After PT I stopped by and did a little shopping for my packing list at reception and basic training. Here is a list of the items I will need:

Clothing

  • One Day Supply of Casual, Comfortable clothing
    ** No halter tops or ragged shorts
  • Three sets of underwear (White)
  • One pair of white, calf-length athletic socks ** No color bands, designs or logos
  • A pair of comfortable shoes
  • Eyeglasses ** No faddish/stylish eyewear
  • Eyeglass Band (if you wear glasses)
  • Athletic Supporter
  • Luggage should be limited to one small suitcase or gym bag
  • Two Locks (padlock with 2 keys)

Toiletries

  • Disposable/Safety Razor with Blades
  • Shaving Cream
  • Towels
  • Toothbrush with case (clear in color)
  • Hairbrush or 6” black comb
  • Two washcloths and one towel (brown)
  • Antiperspirant (non-aerosol)
  • Shower Shoes (Black)
  • Toothpaste
  • Dental Floss
  • Shampoo
  • Soap and Soap Case (Clear in color)

Money

  • $10.00, but no more than $50.00 in cash, you will be given an advance on your first paycheck for any required purchases
  • ATM Card ** For access to your money while at Basic Training

Friday: Turned out to be a fun packed day. I attended what will probably be my Friday morning networking meeting. It has been a lot of fun meeting all of the new friends I have made at this group. After the meeting, I went out Wedgfield Golf Club with a friend of mine. We were not really doing well at all, but we did not seem to care. The highlight of my day would probably be the chip in I made on the first hole.


View Larger Map

After an afternoon of golf, I headed out to a nice hole in the wall bar where some of my friends decided to have a going away party for me. It was pretty fun considering there was karaoke. If you give me free drinks and good people, I will sing a few songs for you.


View Larger Map

Saturday: Was the day that I was able to get some help from my father and a family friend to come over and load up all of the big items at my apartment to bring to our storage unit. This included the bed (mattress, box spring, and frame), coffee table, two couches, 35" TV, entertainment center, three side tables, two night stands, two dressers, a dining table, and six dining chairs. We were able to pack all of these items into the back of a trailer and then pack it into my 5'X10' storage unit!
This will make it very easy for my wife to deal with things while I am gone as she will be spending a lot of her time with parents while I am training. The only problem is that during my last week of staying in Orlando, my wife and I will be sleeping on an air mattress. Oh well! Better than what I will be sleeping on in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment