Thursday, June 9, 2011

6th Letter

This post took me a while because Keith's letter is about 20 pages long.

BCT Day 12- Monday 5/16/2011

We had formation at 0600. We were suppose to meet our transit buses for our leadership resource course at 0630, and eat breakfast at the range. However, the civilian transporters screwed up and sent our buses to another company. So we headed back to the CTA (Company Area) and had breakfast. They then  marched us down the road about 1 1/2 mile to a different course. I think the DSs were a little disappointed because the original course had water for us to fall into when we fell off an obstacle.

The course was fairly fun even though my team never fully completed a task.The DSs were a little angry about something. We kept having to get down and push for so many dumbasses. The weather was chilly. At one point it rained in the afternoon and it was cold. If I buy the DVD, I will post video from the event. Basically, all of the obstacles were about a team trying to get over a bridge that had been destroyed while trying to get a piece of important equipment or casualty across in 25 minutes. The day did not end on a good note though. DS T and another DS from 1st platoon decided that 1st and 3rd platoon needed more training on first and casualty evacuation. This meant that we had to do fireman carries, neck carries, and single person carries up a hill. It was insanely tiring. DS T then surprised the hell of of us by sitting and BS'ing with us for a half hour. We then showered and went to bed.

BCT Day 13 5/17/11
Confidence tower

We got up to find that it was a bit chilly, but it warmed up a little bit. We then got our assault packs loaded up and marched down to the confidence tower. This course involves rappelling and various maneuvers across certain rope configurations about 30 feet in the air.

The rope course involved moving across two ropes, one for the feet and one for the arms. That was probably the hardest one. After that you have to move across one thick rope on your stomach. That was though towards the end because it was riding one area between my legs and press against my chest. I started telling myself that I was doing it for my wife. The XO thought that was cool and started asking more questions. He even asked me what the square root of 36 was when I was still on the rope. I answered "6 sir." He said
"alright warrior, drive on."

The third part involved one rope for the feet and two for the arms, that was fairly easy. After that they then had us climb down a cargo net that was about 40 feet up. I had problems with that because I tried to go down too far. We then had chow UPU, your pick it up, which is a delivered chow line. After chow, I got to be the second person in the line for the rappeline. I was really nervous till I got to the top and saw DS T there to make sure I went down. He was pretty cool actually. The hardest was putting all my weight and faith on the rope and hardware.After my first jump I started jumping and having fun with it. Most people myself included, wanted to go and do it again. Then, chilled out for about 2 hours waiting for the rest of the people to finish.We then marched back and did chow. We got a few minutes to shower and go to bed.

Wednesday 5/18/11 BCT Day 14

FTX1/Night Infiltration

The morning started out very chilly. I think it was in the late 30s. It was made worse by the DSs telling us to alter our uniforms to at least Cat 5 (some heat measurement system her at FT. Benning) This means we had to roll up our sleeves and pant legs. Everyone was shivering. We stood there for about 30 minutes before marching out. We marched 20 minutes and came to this field on the edge of these woods. We then had to form up security formations and watch for any breaches in security. My platoon sat there for about 3 hours before moving to any classes and testing. The test were a part of our testing out of red phase.

First we had to show a DS that we could fix a malefaction with a rifle with he "Sport" method and do a functions check. After that we then went and were shown and tested on how to clear a room with a 4 person squad. Pretty fun and easy to pick up.

We came back to eat on lunch, which happen to be our first issued MRE's I got this beef patty with Mexican macaroni...not that special. After the MRE, we had to sit and run security some more. The company commander came around and did his version of a greet. I had my head down and was actually aiming when he came around. I popped my head up when I saw him looking. He said,
you better not be fucking sleeping." I forgot to mention that earlier in the week he came around at the team exercise and was chit chatting with people. He saw my SPC rank and asked if I was OCS? I said "No sir." He then said that he was about to "fuck me up" when he looked at my uniform. Evidently, I put the patches on backwards in a haste that morning. FML!! Oh well.

After some more security, we went and did some testing on our pro-mask (gas mask), first aid, and some group firing movements up a hill. The gas mask sucked because it still had cs gas remnants on it and caused my face to burn for 10 minutes. First aid was easy because we had a combat medic train us. The firing movements was fun, nothing to complain about it.

After that, we marched back to the CTA and ate dinner chow outside. After that we then loaded up our gear and got on some buses to head to a night infiltration course range. I was looking forward to hit and was not really nervous at all. What was funny was some of the DSs asked who was seared. Some very wide eyed privates raided their hand. (BuZZZZ) Wrong answer. The DSs then said "alright, Ill be right behind yo ass to make sure you go." There really isn't anything to worry about because any live fire (which real rounds are being fired) is flying at least 15 feet above our head. They also fire a flare up in the air. At that point you have to stop whatever your doing, no matter what position and stay completely still. I consider that to be the 20-30 second break because you have to be the low crawl about 100 yards across this range. What made it difficult was that  towards the end, my eye- pro started fogging up bad and I couldn't see anything at all. The DSs then did some more yelling at us to get our crap and go. We packed our stuff and waited for our trans (buses). During this time, people were complaining because of their assault packs. I couldn't believe how pissy people were being. We happen to have an E-5 (sergeant) in our platoon for OCS. He was pissed too. He explained that he was at FT Benning 12 yrs ago. They had their heavier ruck sacks, their IBA's (flack jacket), old dark color BDU's (the former camos), black leather boots, and a few other things. It's a new Army, sergeant.

We came back, had some pep talk fro our reservist DS. Evidently, this week we got 4 DSs from a reserve unit for two weeks. The one for our platoon is pretty cool. However, the first day they were being stealthy and sneaking up on us in formation and scaring us. I had one correct my hands for attention and tell me "I'll blow your shit up if you don't get your shit together, private." We then showered and went to bed. What sucked was I had fireguard from 0300-0400. It was very difficult not to fall asleep. I had to wake my relief up twice. The second time wasn't so subtle.

BCT Day 15 Thursday 5/19/11
Land Navigation/Radio Communication

We woke up at a decent time. I don't remember what time because...I was dead. Waking up is the worst part about being here. That is the common consensus in the bay too. Part of it for me is the fact that I am not waking next to my wife. This whole experience is rearranging my priorities in life. I no longer have the urge to get on facebook, my phone, or both. It has also made me appreciate handwriting my communication rather than typing it, or texting. I'm sure after graduation , that will disappear though.

They had us load up our FLC vests and assault packs. These assault packs usually have about 30-40lbs in them at any given time' not too heavy. We then marched about 1.5 miles to this location where we learned how to use and communicate on an Army radio. We also learned how to call in a 9 line MEDEVAC. I won't go into delta, for reasons.

After the Radio class, they marched up another 1.5-2 miles uphill to the land navigation range. It was disappointing to see so many people falling out at such a slow pace with so little equipment. However, that chilly air has been replaced by 80's and 90's weather. Oh well, hopefully they will get stronger.

We got into the range and formed up for lunch chow with UPU. After chow, we formed up for teams to navigate the range and find 3 points on the map. I looked back behind me to see who was on my team and smiled to see the OCS E-5 who has done 3 tours in Iraq. This wasn't because he could do the work, but if I got lost, he could fix it , especially with me being selected at team leader for the event. SGT Ski (the E-5) gave us a few pointers for finding our points. The biggest idea was to follow roads to find our points rather than traversing in a straight line through thick woods. A lot of people did it and about 50% of the company failed or No go'ed the event . We found all three points with a little time to spare.

After we got back, we waited and then had dinner chow via UPU again. After chow, we formed up in the same teams again and were briefed on night navigation. However, they had us start around 1830 and gave us only about 2 hrs to complete before it got dark makes sense right? They gave us 5 points to find and used the compass predominately with this exercise.
We found the first 3 points with out too much struggle. However, our 4 points were questionable and didn't feel like finding the 5th point with it being 870 meters away. We guessed the number and headed back. We felt pretty confident with the first 3 points and that is what we needed to pass.

We got back and turned our answers in and found out we got a Go with 3/5. Yay. We waited for the DSs to round up the people who were lost and could find their points or way back. Evidently, we waited too long to march back and rode back on some trans.

We got back and got a pep talk from DS Kat (Our temporary reserve DS). We seem to like him. I like that he calls us "crazy" instead of "fucker" or "retard." It's also odd for me to realize I am the same age as him, 25, and he acts so much older than his real age. We then showered and went to bed. It was nice because I had no fireguard. I actually laid down and went to sleep a half hour before lights went out.

BCT Day 16  Friday 5/20/11
IED Training Day

I forgot to mention that this week that the DSs have been doing PRT with us in the morning. Nothing wrong with that, but we have been doing it in our ACU's to save time. I love this because we start the day off all sweaty and grimy in our uniform [Insert sarcastic tone]. Oh well.

They had us march about 2.25 miles uphill. It was a decent pace that had me sweating and thinking of home. We did have one kid passout, but he's ok.

We got to the range and spent about the next 8 hours learning about IEDs for OPSEC reasons, that is all I will say. We did get a tip form one of our IED instructors on getting caught sleeping by a DS. If you are caught sleeping or halfway asleep and a DS  swaps at you, bless yourself and pick your head up as if were praying. I don't plan on doing it, but I thought it was amusing.

We then marched back at a very slow pace. Someone even passed out then too. I guess the heat here gets to some people. They were ok, I guess. After our hydration formation, all but one DS disappeared and we got about an extra hour of personal time to try and catch up on this journal. I then went to sleep about a half hour early.

BCT Day 17 Saturday 5/21/11

The day was pretty chill compared to the fast pace of this week. Evidently, we are moving through basic really fast. I was talking with another company before they graduated, they said that we are just blowing through all of our training courses compared to them. The first would confirm the rumor that our cadre is trying to get us done early as to graduate us prior to July 4th, rather than July 7th. SGT Ski said it would make sense because of the leave involved for the cadre at the company and dealing with us. We would more than likely get a 3 to 4 day pass to be out of their hair. My other theory is that so many people are getting injured and sick, or failing courses, they are trying to build in time buffers to allow people to heal up and retake tests. I just want a confirmation on the dates if they do change. 

The day involved our platoon and another platoon working on more Army combatatives and detailing techniques. We had to hold off someone they came at us. I ended up getting this big guy with a head length over me. I held him off me for a bit and then he bowed up on me and I lost my stance and fell back on my rifle. It was kind of fun.

After that we were given time to go and work on our laundry and go get money from the ATM for concert tickets to the Toby Keith concert on May 29th. Evidently, we are allowed to go and eat pizza and soda. I plan on just to get away from the CTA and enjoy a little bit of country I do like.

About the ATM machine, I forgot to mention the previous day that I realized that I had $60 stolen from my wallet during the past few days. I was stupid and never wrote down the serial numbers like the DSs told us to do on Day 1. So I didn't even bother bringing it to the DSs attention. I was so angry.  It really breaks my trust level with everyone in my platoon because they had to be very sneaky. I very rarely leave my locker open except to run to the bathroom. It was very demotivating.

After chow, the same two platoons marched over the EST (Electronic Shooting Training) buildings. Here we started practicing on the machine I mentioned previously, but on a bigger scale. Our platoon finished quicker than any other platoon. In fact, we finished quicker than any platoon that the technician has had come through. This means we grouped and zeroed our shots in little time. It only took me one turn. This left us with a boat load of time. Our DSs decided to have us clean rifles and pass out mail. I finally got some mail from my wife. Evidently, she is not writing "A Co. 2-47" in the address and its delaying when I receive it. So if anyone wants to mail me anything here, please us this address:

SPC Keith Miller, RN: 309
A. Co. 2-47 IN
5375 Hauson Dr.
Ft. Benning GA 31905-4930

I will write back to anyone ASAP should I receive anything.

After dinner chow, we formed up for hydration formation where we then lined up to buy tickets to see Toby Keith. I'm a little bit of a fan, but I really want time away from the CTA

We just so just so happened to get woken up at 2200 and to be dressed in our ACUs and formed up at 2215. We had the privilege of going to cheer on a company from a totally different battalion as they came back from their last FTX, thus signify the end of training. As it happened, we marched over their to find out they wouldn't be back for another 1.5 hours. The DSs messed with us and said we would go back to our bays for 1 hour and go back. The DS then said "no, someone else can wake up." I then went back to sleep promptly after chewing some people out for talking or screwing around.

BCT Day 18- Sunday 5/22/11

Not as relaxing as I had hoped. We finally were able to start doing laundry on our own, in our own laundry room. We have had difficulties with laundry because of sewage back ups in our septic lines. We have been using a few people to wash our clothes, but that resulted in people losing a variety of items, me included. I finished some laundry and worked most of my time on this journal to catch up. I have been motivated ever sine receiving and reading my wife's letters and pictures that were scented with her perfume. Very uplifting.

We were enjoying peace and quiet till DS T came in and informed us that our platoon had company duty this week. He then went out to explain that meant we are in charge of setting up the ranges, and ice sheet coolers, and other items for the next week. He then went on to have prep equipments for the next week. After we were done, we disappeared.

Overall, life here has not been as bad as I though it was going to be. It must be because our company is not infantry. The smoking's here have been...crap. The recruiters were tougher on PT than the PRT crap. It certainly is a new Army. The DSs have to pay attention to anything they say that might offend someone. There are very little racial jokes or remarks. There are people being called fat and bacon though.

We had lunch chow and I was able to finish my laundry. I was able to finish my letters as well to my wife. I would like to try and write one to my parents here son, but training has been fast paced.



At 1430, I got downstairs to wait for a DS to take us to mass. However just before 1500 (which when mas is scheduled) we found a DS and he told us to just march ourselves down ourselves. ok. We got there on time. It was an interesting mass. We had two brothers who got to be baptized, received holy communion, and confirmation at mass.

After mass, I got to chow just in time. After chow all of the platoons got setup for some pictures in the CTA. It will probably be on the FB fanpage for 2-47. My platoon is the platoon with the green strips of tape. After that, we had a DS, who I'd like to call DS cajun, smoke us and have us stand at parade rest for about 30 minutes. This because of the stupidity of a few people throughout the company. He said this shows we are not ready for white phase. We then went to our bay and had some discussion about our issues. Our biggest problem is that there are few people who cannot get along with each other. It's so annoying, I don't understand why some of these personalities can't eat a slice of humble pie and straighten out their ego.

After that we had another DS come in and take people's temperatures to find out that they had a fever. The DS then chewed us out for being sick and having to take them to the ER. [Insert sarcasm]. Don't these people know health care for soldiers is free because we are not suppose to have access to without criticism. We then had a bleach drill and one of our quitter got in a fight with someone for taking his number off the fireguard schedule. I will now go shower and bleach something.

No comments:

Post a Comment