Saturday, July 2, 2011

8th Letter


BCT Day 26 Monday 5/30/11
Memorial Day 

Today was meant to be a chill day…for the most part. With the PT Test coming up the next day, the DSs did not do any PRT or any kind of smoking sessions as well.  After breakfast chow, we were ordered to perform another bleach drill as well. We got our bleach drill done fairly quick and started working on the inside of our lockers for a 1900 locker inspection by our SDS. He made a deal that we could get a call and the time was based off our inspection results. 

After much debate, it was decided that all 4 squad leaders would go around and straighten each locker to make sure they were good to go. As a squad, I thought this was a good idea. Throughout the day, the DS that were left to babysit us for the day let the people who passed their PT test go and get ice cream and then get milkshakes. I was not a part of this group as I saw it as a perfect chance to nap and gorge extra calories and sugar. At one point, I got more the PLT to chow as the PG was available. I did alright calling commands for the first time, I think. At 1900, our SDS came in and did his inspection. He was impressed. He said, “It wasn’t perfection, but it looked good and we got a 20 minute phone call on our phones.” I called my parents and spoke to them for about 10 minutes. They couldn’t understand how I was going to be able to run 2 miles with the bronchitis. I told them I would make it happen. I then spoke to my wife for about 10 minutes. It was nice because we covered some details about my graduation and her ID. After the calls I actually went down and bought a protein bar to help me with my PT test the next morning. I figured I could use all of the extra energy I could get before bed.

BCT Day 27 Tuesday 5/31/11
APFT #2

After wakeup, we all put on our stylish PT vests with our roster # printed on the front. We formed up in lines and started our test. I did not luck out and got the super picky Asian DS who kept telling me to go lower while still counting my pushups. I stopped for a second to figure out what he meant and he snapped “Go You!” I also lost count and ended up doing 3 less pushups then last with 4, still a passing score AIT, sit-ups, was a different story. I did 8 more than time with 59. After my situps, I had enough time to go upstairs, use the latrine, read my wife’s last letter and gather some motivation before we left for the 2 mile run. The run was a lot easier considering I was not coughing up any blood. However, during my run, a DS came up next to me and said to keep this pace. I started coughing and he told me not to be doing that just because he was there. I then backed up a huge white pile of stuff and spit it out. I guess it was big enough that the DS said, “Go PVT, are you dying because that was huge?” I ended up shaving 41 seconds of my previous time and getting a BCT passing score of 17:04, I was pleased because I improved again and now know that I can pass the test to get out of BCT. I’ll be honest; I have little doubts of whether I could make it or not after seeing the holdovers from other companies. After the run, the DSs had us double time or light run, back to the CTA which was about ¾ of mile back. I did not fall out this time. I did not need that kind of attention. We then ate breakfast chow outside. After chow, DS T spoke to us on how to improve out PT scores. We then tried a PT drill that we will try during personal time to help our scores as a PLT. He then had us do it to show we could do it on time. We then worked on our rifle for a little bit to clean. After chow, we marched over and worked with the EST 2000 again. This time it had us shooting at simple pop-up targets to help prep us for the real pop up targets we would start firing at the next day. 

After that, we had dinner chow and then we had a pleasant surprise of a health and wellness check. This is an impromptu check, search, and dump of your locker, bed and entire bay. It is disappointing to see all of your items dumped into one big pile with no regard how neat it was. The DSs were prompted to do this search because someone broken into our DSs office the previous night and stole some cigarettes. They did not find any cigarettes, but they did find Girl Scout cookie box and a Twix wrapper. The DSs did figure it was from my previous bunkmate. So they did not hold it against us. The rest of the day consisted of our usual except we got to clean up our DS mess.

BCT Day 28 Wednesday 6/1/11

We prepped and rode trans to range to shoot at our first real timed pop-up targets. The heat from the day was getting to some people. The day was scheduled to go till 1700 and I think we were supposed to fire more than once. But that did not happen. I think it had something to do with the heat. The range was supposed to simulate or even copy the exact situation of our qualification range on Friday and Saturday for BRM. To give a little food for thought you are given 40 rounds. 20 rounds fired from lying down with a sandbag (prone supported), laying down with sandbags (prone unsupported), and kneeling. The goal is to get at least 23 targets. I really do not know what happened with my shooting but I only got a 19. I know that I missed the first target because the range announcer did not give any real warning to load before shooting. Than my rifle did not fire off about 4 rounds and expelled them. Whatever, I have time. After getting back our SDS smoked us for a while because we couldn’t stay in step to the PG’s cadence. Problem is our PG calls cadence a little too fast. The SDS then took us out and marched us for a while. We then got cool showers (heat dumps) and cleaned our weapons. 

We also had someone else in my squad quit to start his Mormon mission before his 19th birthday. Because of that, I was tasked with cleaning his rifle for turning to the armor. Unfortunately, I did not get started soon enough and was told I would have to carry it around the next day. Great!

After that, we went to chow. After chow, we had hydration formation where we were told to do a bleach drill. In the middle of our bleach drill, we were called down to the Co. classroom for an information sell on class rings for graduation. I felt that I had no need to spend at least $200 on a ring. I never really wore my high school ring. After that, it was the usual night with the exception of the CQ DS waking me up for being a squad leader and having a can of Lysol to give the fireguard.

BCT Day 29 Thursday 6/2/11
The day started with us doing some light PRT outside in our ACUs. We were supposed to leave and start marching at 0600 hrs, but we didn’t start marching out of the CTA till after 0700. Our pace was very fast. I even had a little difficulty keeping the pace after figuring out the second rifle I was carrying come loose and started banging my arms and legs. I tried fixing it myself and couldn’t find anyone to help me out. Evidently, because our late start, someone in our company leadership decided we needed to double time the last bit of our march. Holy Crap! I kept up with our platoon for the most part; but the extra weapon kept falling off and I ended up being swallowed by the PLT behind us. When we got to our formations, they yelled for any and all fallouts to go to a separate area. I walked over. What annoyed me was the fact that there were guys who fell out, but didn’t own up to it. We then had the company commander come over and tell us how pathetic we were and that he didn’t even want us to stay in the Army anymore. I didn’t take it personal because I knew I could have stayed in formation had it not been for the extra weapon.

We had UPU, and then formed up and got to our station. I forgot to mention that we were at the LOMATT range again. It was easier if you ask me because there were only 3 targets to choose from. My first round of shooting was not my best. I am not sure what I got, but I got at least a 23 out of 40. My second round shooting was a little better. I shot 30 out of 40.

We then had lunch chow. Towards the end of chow, our PLT’s guide on Flag fell. Our SOS said that our entire PLT died and that we needed to be getting our latest ELS guy’s weapon to turn in. We then ate UPU outside for dinner chow because it was supposed to be eaten at the range. We then had hydration formation and went to our bays. We then took our Green Army blankets off our bed to turn in. Evidently they agree that those may be helping to spread the crud. The “gut truck” came later. When everyone was in line, the fire alarm went off. I tried to go back up to get our rifle, but someone in my PLT told me not to worry about it. The DS came out and noticed 2 PLTs had their rifles and two didn’t. We will see if we will pay later. We got back inside and I took a long warm shower before bed. The fire alarm went off at 2200 again for a bit, and then back to bed before 0100-0200 Fireguard shift. Yay!

BCT Day 30 6/30/11
Range Pre-qual Day

The morning started with some light PRT in the morning on our ACUs. After that we had chow at the DFAC for breakfast. I have not explained the process or ceremony we go through to get into the DFAC. We march to the DFAC where the PG or DS yells chow formation. We then condense our 4 ranks into 2 ranks and throw our rifles over our shoulders (chow sling). We then yell “Last man get the door!” 3 times while the last guy in the PLT runs to the door. He then starts, “Last man’s got the door, what the hell are you yelling for?” Usually, we answer with “because we are hungry and want some chow.” We then shovel and eat food in about 5-8 minutes. 

After breakfast, we rode over to the range we were at two days prior. They let us fire twice. This range had the realistic pop up targets. I shot a 20 first and then figured out what I was going wrong and then fired 28. After that, we rode back to the CTA where we did a “heat dump.” We then ate dinner chow outside. We then did mail call where our SDS had fun throwing mail at the privates. We did our usual activities before lights out.

BCT Day 31 6/4/11
BRM Qualification Day

The cadre actually let us sleeps till about 0500 and we had our formation at 0615. We did PRT in the ACUs in bay. Our SDS had us do some cherry pickers. I don’t know why he would try to make our arms sore or weak the morning we would need them to shoot. We had Trans pick us up and take us to the range where we ate breakfast chow before firing. I did not fire as well as I had wanted. I shot a 20 and not the 23. However, because I shot the 28 the day before, I was good to go. I guess they wanted to save the ammo. Our PLT was supposed to win the BRM streamer and beat the rest of the company, but one guy picked up the wrong rifle, not his, and only shot a 7. Because of that, our average was thrown off. 4th Platoon ended up winning the BRM streamer. What is funny is that most of them said they won it by default because they had so many no go’s. Oh well.

For the next 3 hours, we waited for the last of the company to try and shoot a 23. Then before we left, the DSs felt they had too much ammo and let people fire off the rest. I got up there and shot a 29…figures. It was sad to see two people needing an ambulance because they were heat casualties. Mainly because it was really uncomfortable experience if a person passes out or fell shot, the DSs will take an oral temp. If it is above 100 or 101they will then take an anal temp. If that is elevated as well, the casualty will then be stripped of their underwear and then covered up by abo9ut 5 or 6 sheets that have been soaking in an icy slush mix. The biggest reason for this is that these people are not drinking enough water. 

Around 1500 we rode back, took a heat dump and started eating chow. During chow, we two guys from first PLT hit temps of 101 and above. They two got the ice sheet treatment. Evidently they had guys avoid going to sick call so they could shoot today.

After chow, it was normal events before lights out. I did do fireguard where the CQ DS came in a woke everyone for people not wearing their PT uniforms, or not wearing shirts. The problem is, the bay is friggin’ hot lately with a half working A/C.
 
BCT Day 32 6/5/11

It was a relatively low key for the most part. We ate chow around 0630 and headed back to our bay to do our usual bleach drill. After that, it was mostly free time till DS T came in and spoke to us and answered some issues we might have had. I brought up the fact that many of us wanted to look at our leave and earning statement (lies) and figure out why the previous paycheck seemed so out of whack. He then let some of us sign on and views our LES and he explained how confusing the Army payroll can be. Evidently, they give you an inflated paycheck first and then take some back. I am not worried, in a month; I will be getting to Ft. Gordon where I can go and speak with the finance department when I got setup my TSP (The army 401k).
We then went to chow. After chow, I took my squad to the PX where we purchased any bare necessities. I actually purchased a large bottle of dish soap/hand soap for our bathroom. I don’t know if I mentioned this or not, but our PLT does has not had hand soap in our latrine since we arrived. Evidently, the budget is so cut that hand soap is not important. I will see how long my bottle lasts. After getting back, I then went to mass. This week ha mass in the newly renovated chapel instead of the reception building. After mass, we had chow and hydration formation where we were ordered to do another…bleach drill.

Later, we had another hydration formation where we chewed out because so many people have been acting out and losing discipline. The DSs are thinking of pulling our flag and sending us back o red phase. I hope that got through to some of the people in our PLT. Too many people are ruining it for us. The “Gut Truck” came out and the people passed the PT test were allowed pizza, and/or wings. No point in spending $10 on a small box for myself.

After lights out, I then got to go and do staff duty from 2300-2400. Basically we watch the battalion front door and desk. And because it was late, we watched some TV. DS T BS’ed with us for a little bit. I bet he will be a lot of fun during our next two FTX’s.

Funny DS quote of the day: “I don’t know what it is here in Columbus, but warn your family that the drivers here suck! For some reason when they start driving, they start licking the windows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment